Get ready for THE TRUE NORTH COLLECTIVE℠ PODCAST: SEASON 4! With co-hosts Rachel Bellotti (she/her) and Jenell Riesner (she/her), this is a gathering of un-sugar-coated conversations celebrating the untold stories of everyday people fearlessly finding and living their true north.
In our own search to discover and live from our TRUE NORTH, we continue to meet many interesting, courageous people from all walks of life, doing all sorts of amazing things to live life in their own unique way. Stories from all over the world. Stories with heart. Stories with grit. Stories with plot twists. Stories going untold – until now. This season, we continue to celebrate these untold stories of everyday people who are fearlessly living their true north and inspiring each of us to do the same.
Today, we have our second conversation in a new series called ADULT SEX ED, where we talk about all the things we never learned in sex ed, now as adults! It’s awkward, playful, real, honest, + informative because we ALL deserve to get our sex questions answered in a way that feels empowering + pleasurable. We are honored to again speak with Joy Davis, Canadian-based creator of Full Moon Fertility, Anishinaabe (Ojibwe) FAM Educator, trained in the Justiisse Method, + Dr. Emily Kirkwold owner of NFP Pharmacist, NFP + cycle charting in the Marquette Method, to chat about all things masturbation + self-pleasure. This will be an ongoing conversation to normalize sex, pleasure, sexuality, bodies + their fluids, + so much more. DM us if there is a topic you want us to talk about in a future episode! In this episode, we wrestle with:
- Stigma around masturbation
- First self-led orgasm memories
- Many ways to masturbate
- Representation + complexity of the clitoris
- Your body is good
- Exposure to different types of bodies + confidence
- Birth control + libido
- Partners + masterbation
- Toys, accessories, experimentation – just try stuff!
- Educate yourself on butt stuff
Thank you, Joy + Emily, for being so open + giving in your perspectives + truths. We appreciate you both so much. <3
*note: this episode includes explicit language appropriate for those ages 16+
- #amplifymelanatedvoices @evyan.whitney
- #amplifymelanatedvoices @dr_cuterus
- #amplifymelanatedvoices @gynaegossip
- #amplifymelanatedvoices @fertilityfriday
- Pure Romance Parties
- The Sexually Liberated Woman Podcast
- Sex with Emily Podcast
- Cliterally The Best Podcast
- True Sex + Wild Love Podcast
- @lydiareeves_artist + vulva casting
- Connect with Joy via IG @fullmoon.fertility + Dr. Emily via IG @nfppharmacist
- Music from: https://www.jukedeck.com/
3 KEY TAKEAWAYS:
- How can you expect to have a pleasurable sexual experience with someone else if you don’t know how to have one with yourself? It is hugely important to understand our own bodies + how to take care of our needs in all ways so that we can self-advocate for ourselves with others. And we don’t have to wait until a certain age to start to live into this + talk about it + practice it.
- It is essential that we prioritize our own pleasure. Period. And if this feels tough, know it’s ok because we haven’t been taught to do this in mainstream western society. But we are each unique in how we experience pleasure + so we each deserve the chance to explore that for ourselves so we know how to feel good. It is highly recommended to create space for self-understanding mentally, emotionally, spiritually, and physically (including sex!). It may not be comfortable right away + that is totally ok, but don’t give up on yourself + your needs + your pleasure. Keep going, keep learning, keep advocating. It is worth it. Your body is good. Your pleasure is a good thing.
- Talking about sex + masturbation + our bodies + pleasure doesn’t make more people have MORE sex, it ensures that we are having healthy sex. NOT talking about it doesn’t lessen the amount we have sex, it just makes more people ashamed of doing it. And in reality, we are all already doing it, so let’s embrace it + learn about it + talk about it + enjoy it!