THE TRUE NORTH COLLECTIVE is a gathering of un-sugar-coated conversations on wellness, created by the real-life documentation of two humans discovering and hacking what it means to reconnect with our own true north.
- We explore wellness programs, content, advice, tools, and books that relate to nutrition, movement, and mindset.
- We connect with new people and experiences, sharing openly and honestly about our unique journey with wellness.
- We learn from ourselves and others to challenge the norm of what we believe life can and should be.
We are Jenell Riesner and Rachel Bellotti – two humans who love sweating and connecting with other humans (preferably while sweating), and nerding out as we explore the world of “health and wellness” in an attempt to better know ourselves and live lives we are inspired to get up for every damn day!
We first met in June 2016, while working at a boutique fitness studio in Milwaukee called SPIRE FITNESS, building a healthy fitness community within a city known for its cheese, bratwurst, and beer (which we also love!). Beyond our jobs, we were each exploring the vast world of health and wellness on our own, unaware of the other’s side projects:
- Jenell was interested in becoming a nutritional therapy practitioner, teaching kickass workout classes, listening to The Paleo Women Podcast, lifting heavy, and watching documentaries like Cooked.
- Rachel was attempting her first Whole30, contemplating what it would take to complete an Ironman, learning about self-compassion through the work of Kristin Neff, and training in the art and practice of Shambhala meditation.
We soon realized this and started to share these experiences with each other. We met for coffee, we talked out loud about what we liked and didn’t like, what worked and didn’t work, and if we would recommend it. We complained about all the contradictory information out there and how overwhelming and confusing it all was, yet we still wanted to learn more to find answers for ourselves.
The more we talked the more we learned that what works for one person doesn’t necessarily work for another. Living a healthy and happy life is an individual and unique experience. There is no right or wrong way, it’s a journey we each must go on to learn what is “right” for each of us. And going on this journey with someone was WAY better than doing it alone.
Through our conversations about our highs and lows, we realized that we couldn’t keep this stuff to ourselves! It was too juicy and helpful, and plus after realizing how much we learned from each other, we wanted to find a way to build a community where we could connect with other people on this journey. We wanted to keep learning from the experiences of others, and to challenge what “experts” claim is the “right” approach to health and wellness.
And that is how THE TRUE NORTH COLLECTIVE was born. We hope you enjoy the journey as much as we do and are inspired to find your own TRUE NORTH.