Welcome to AMPLIFY, a mini-series by THE TRUE NORTH COLLECTIVE℠ PODCAST, dedicated to highlighting the untold stories of everyday BIPOC fearlessly finding and living their true north amidst the current systemic realities – past, present, and future.
In the wake of George Floyd’s murder, co-hosts Rachel Bellotti (she/her) and Jenell Riesner (she/her), recognized their own ignorance to the racial atrocities that have plagued history. They chose to use this platform to create a space that centers real stories of genuine authenticity from marginalized communities whom society has attempted to keep silent for far too long.
This series is inspired by the original #amplifymelanatedvoices movement, created by @jessicawilson.msrd and @blackandembodied in June 2020 in an effort to elevate BIPOC voices, listen more deeply, and support anti-racism.
Today, we hear from Kameelah Muhammad, our friend, a former co-worker at SPIRE Fitness, TRX, Crew instructor, and lead Brand Ambassador at SPIRE Fitness, a mom to an amazing daughter, poet, and all-around uplifting and grounded humxn that the world is lucky to have. We talk about adapting, letting your spirit shine, being willing to learn, embracing the challenge, losses vs lessons, trusting yourself, ego, resilience, the illogical face of fitness + body diversity, loving yourself + your body, gratitude + perspective, acknowledging what society is putting out + what’s actually real, respect, becoming the face of diversity, taking ownership, and learning to just be yourself as a way to change the world. This is a powerful, honest, realistic episode that invites respect, self-love, and movement as a way to better co-exist with one another. We love + appreciate the hell out of you, Kameelah! <3
TAKE ACTION: This episode, we have donated to Kameelah’s selected cause, Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee, creating safe places for local kids and teens to learn and play, with positive role models, and educational programming. We are strongly encouraging our listeners who feel inspired to also donate what you can to support. Donate or give today here.
*note: this episode includes explicit language appropriate for those ages 16+
3 KEY TAKEAWAYS:
- Be willing to learn. Most of the time we’re never gonna be great right out of the gates. And that’s ok! Be willing to keep going, keep practicing, getting feedback, improving, getting back up, giving it another try, and gathering more data. Persevere and keep learning. That is what life’s all about.
- Balance the highs with remembering what it took to get there. Be excited and let yourself shine, but be honest with yourself. Be mindful not to get swept up into your ego as you experience the highs in your life. Be mindful when you are feeding the ego vs truly celebrating yourself because you’ve achieved something worth celebrating.
- Notice where you are being influenced by what society is putting out vs what is realistic + what is truth. Notice where you may be adhering to + re-enforcing societal stereotypes that are illogical + unattainable + actually hurting people + actually hurting you. Can you be honest enough with yourself to see what’s really there? Can you acknowledge that something isn’t adding up? Can you start making small changes that allow more of who you REALLY are to exist in the world? So that more humxns are allowed to exist more fully as themselves, too.
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [0:45] We’re back at SPIRE Fitness!
- [5:00] Adapting
- [7:50] Gyms/studios becoming an essential service
- [9:30] Welcome, Kameelah!
- [13:20] Prioritizing movement
- [16:00] Allowing your spirit to capture people
- [18:00] Willingness to learn + grow
- [22:00] Meet people where they’re at
- [24:00] High expectations
- [26:30] AD: Christie Conochalla (from Season 2 of TNC) is going to be a Guest Festival Director for the 2021 Art of Brooklyn Film Festival. They are currently looking for submissions for the festival (check it out here)! If you are a creator in the film world and are interested, the regular submission deadline is Feb. 19th or April 12th for the late deadline. Follow + support Christie via IG @cconochalla, or reach out if you have any questions for her, she’s an incredible humxn making waves in the LBGTQ+ film community + we are so proud to know her + call her a friend. <3
- [27:30] Enjoying a challenge
- [28:30] Loss vs lesson
- [35:00] Balancing the high + the ego
- [46:00] The illogical face of fitness
- [49:00] Love yourself, love your hair, love your body
- [51:00] Pay attention to your actions, not just your words
- [56:00] Gratitude + perspective
- [1:00:00] What to do when society is advocating for separation + showing you that respect is not important
- [1:08:00] Becoming the face of diversity at my gym
- [1:08:40] AD: We are excited to share that Dr. Emily Kirkwold (from Season 3 of TNC) is offering FREE monthly workshops on natural family planning, held on the 3rd Thursday of each month. As a part of knowing your authentic self, it’s so important to invite yourself to know your body fully, too. Learn more here to start the journey of knowing the nuances of the body as it pertains to natural family planning.
- [1:12:00] Following your heart + being honest with yourself
- [1:16:50] Writing poetry as a release
- [1:21:30] Just be yourself
- [1:24:00] How do you live your TRUE NORTH?
- [1:25:00] Reach out to Kameelah via IG @meelahfit