Get ready for THE TRUE NORTH COLLECTIVE℠ PODCAST: SEASON 4! With co-hosts Rachel Bellotti (she/her) and Jenell Riesner (she/her), this is a gathering of un-sugar-coated conversations celebrating the untold stories of everyday people fearlessly finding and living their true north.
In our own search to discover and live from our TRUE NORTH, we continue to meet many interesting, courageous people from all walks of life, doing all sorts of amazing things to live life in their own unique way. Stories from all over the world. Stories with heart. Stories with grit. Stories with plot twists. Stories going untold - until now. This season, we continue to celebrate these untold stories of everyday people who are fearlessly living their true north and inspiring each of us to do the same.
Today, we’re talking to Tina Ahn, a genuine ray of light, one of Rachel’s friends + co-workers, a Store Manager at a lululemon store in Toronto, ON, a former competitive soccer player, has a rescue pup named Lizzie, is a big feeler, has goals to become a life coach, and is just an all around genuine people person with a gift for holding space for self-discovery and exploration of those ah-ha moments. We talk a lot about being professionally photographed for the first time + allowing yourself to be the center of attention, learning to embrace all that shows up even when we’re scared, proving yourself wrong, celebrating + choosing yourself, giving yourself a fair shot, imagining the worst case scenario, letting go of what’s holding you back, using your life as a mirror, listening to your body, and using your voice to self advocate. This conversation dives right into some real vulnerability + reminds us that we are never alone when we have the courage to show up + share our true stories with the people around us. Thank you, Tina, for modeling this so beautifully. <3
*note: this episode includes explicit language appropriate for those ages 16+
- #amplifymelanatedvoices @theeverymanproject
- #amplifymelanatedvoices @decolonizing_fitness
- #amplifymelanatedvoices @thebodypositive
- Lays Ketchup chips
- Sir Kensington’s Chipotle Mayo
- Snake coming out of car air vent
- IG @meg.boggs
- IG @mikzazon
- Jonathan Van Ness Podcast episode w/Dr. Edith Eger
- Ira Glass Quote
- IG @tobemagnetic
- Music from: https://www.jukedeck.com/
3 KEY TAKEAWAYS:
- Sometimes the only way to live is to just keep showing up even when you don’t want to. To say yes to the things you don’t want to face. To embrace all that is in front of you with open arms. And to know that you are not alone when you do this. It is incredibly empowering.
- What if you started to prove all the judgments and stories about yourself wrong? What if you looked at the beliefs that you have that hold you back and start making small steps towards building up new stories that serve you? What if you start to prove to yourself that you are actually different from the stories that you have made up in your head (whether they have historical merit or not)? Your past is just your past. The only indicator of your future is the choice you make today to create the ending that you want.
- Are you giving yourself a fair shot? Have you given yourself a fair shot? What would it look like if you did? What would you stop doing? What would you start doing, today? What would need to change in order for you to step into a space where you did the thing you truly wanted to do? What would someone who WOULD do the thing do next? Can you just do it? Right now? “We miss 100% of the shots we don’t take” - Wayne Gretzky. Take the shot.
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [4:00] Lay’s flavor competitions
- [5:20] Bugs + snakes
- [10:58] AD: We are excited to share that our first COLLECTIVE of 2021 is happening on Thursday, Feb 18th @7:30pm CST! THE COLLECTIVE is our free monthly community event where we connect, reflect, share, listen, and be yourself alongside others who are also practicing living their TRUE NORTH. This month, the convo will center around intention setting as how it is helping you live your TRUE NORTH. Sign-up here!
- [11:55] Welcome, Tina!
- [14:00] I’m not alone
- [14:30] Embracing all of it
- [16:00] Being resigned + in victim
- [19:15] Proving yourself wrong
- [23:30] Embracing your body + nakedness
- [31:00] Making decisions to take care of self vs run from self
- [33:40] Minimizing shame narratives
- [35:30] Pleasing others through sport, fitness, exercise
- [38:30] Vocalizing + standing in your decision that’s against the grain
- [41:20] Being good at something that you don’t want to do
- [47:30] Giving yourself a fair shot
- [49:26] AD: Join our second workshop on authenticity for the year - all about EMBRACING THE CONTRAST + ACKNOWLEDGING YOUR MESSY TRUE NORTH. This workshop is only $15 + is happening on Thursday, March 4th @7:30pm CST. This topic is all about learning to embrace all that you are + recognizing when you are being pulled into black + white thinking. Join us by signing up here! PROMO: If you are interested in attending the remaining 10 workshops of the year at a discounted rate, we are still offering all of them for $99, please email us at email@example.com or DM us to get this deal. We look forward to playing alongside you!
- [52:30] Commitment to action
- [55:00] Imagining the worst case scenario
- [58:30] Feeling like you’ve wasted time
- [1:02:00] Letting go of external pressures + self-judgment
- [1:04:00] Listening to your body
- [1:09:00] Guilt + learning to live for you
- [1:10:30] Ask for help, share + connect with people because more people can relate than you might realize
- [1:12:20] How do you live your TRUE NORTH in 1 word?
- [1:12:40] Connect with Tina via IG @tinaahn_