Get ready for THE TRUE NORTH COLLECTIVE℠ PODCAST: SEASON 4! With co-hosts Rachel Bellotti (she/her) and Jenell Riesner (she/her), this is a gathering of un-sugar-coated conversations celebrating the untold stories of everyday people fearlessly finding and living their true north.
In our own search to discover and live from our TRUE NORTH, we continue to meet many interesting, courageous people from all walks of life, doing all sorts of amazing things to live life in their own unique way. Stories from all over the world. Stories with heart. Stories with grit. Stories with plot twists. Stories going untold – until now. This season, we continue to celebrate these untold stories of everyday people who are fearlessly living their true north and inspiring each of us to do the same.
Today, we have a special episode inspired by a convo we had in a recent COLLECTIVE, our free monthly community gathering, all about where we place our self worth. We bring on a mash-up of voices together from across the country to unpack this topic as fellow travelers looking to better understand and learn and grow from and with each. Kaity Thompson-Semmelhack lives in Milwaukee, WI. She is a Cycle Program manager at Spire Fitness and works for a non-profit called Cure SMA. Jack Nelms lives in Dallas, TX, and is a Producer/Artist doing the electronica indie genre of music. Lizzie Somabut-Collie is also in Dallas, TX, in the midst of another career transition, amidst a pandemic, and she’s trying to figure out what feels good and fulfilling to her in her career, while ensuring the organization she’s with also values her. We talk about external validation vs self-worth, recognizing when our identities are tied to things outside of ourselves, the exhaustion of being a “yes” person, how to know when you’re in self-worth, self advocating, releasing the outcome, when ego + external validation are good, the self-worth muscle, and unconditional self-worth. This conversation invites everyone to explore what it means to live from self-worth and what we do when we inevitably forget. <3
*note: this episode includes explicit language appropriate for those ages 16+
- #amplifymelanatedvoices @jayshetty
- #amplifymelanatedvoices @nangaahlaangstangs
- #amplifymelanatedvoices @thebodyisnotanapology
- Mark Groves – Boundaries Badass Course
- The Happy Show by Stefan Sagmeister
- Music from: https://www.jukedeck.com/
3 KEY TAKEAWAYS:
- Where is your self-worth practice today? Self-worth can sometimes seem like a moving target where we jump from thing to thing that is being used to externally validate our sense of worth. Unfortunately, this is an externally-focused game that never ends that leaves you chasing an elusive and imaginary unicorn. What if instead you noticed where you are placing your self-worth outside of yourself and see if you can set that aside and bring the focus back to you. What is worthy about you regardless of the external circumstances and proof points? Where is your self-worth that transcends the outside world?
- When people meet you, what is your default way of describing yourself? Do you immediately share who you are professionally? Do you share your role as wife, mom, etc? What would it be like to describe yourself based on your self-worth? Versus the external things that you derive your worth beyond the labels and identities and accomplishments.
- What if self-worth is a muscle? And if you are practicing self-worth, then you will be able to experience more moments in life that feel good, lift you up, or even simply at peace and content. If you aren’t practicing, then you are more likely to experience doubt, resentment, external conflict, comparison, etc. Maybe instead of trying to control the result, can you focus on building up your self-worth instead and see what pours out from that energy?
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [2:10} Welcome, Kaity!
- [3:20] It’s ok not to know!
- [3:45] Welcome, Jack!
- [4:43] Welcome, Lizzie!
- [5:10] Self-worth practice
- [9:00] Shifting self-worth
- [12:30] External validation + identity confirmation
- [22:37] AD: We have TRUE NORTH COLLECTIVE merch + we’re really excited about it!! Currently, we are selling super soft, green crew neck sweatshirts with the white TNC logo. Check them out on our IG page @thetruenorthcollective_ + DM us if you are interested in repping this badass community! We love you all + appreciate your continued support. <3
- [23:18] How do you know you’re in self-worth?
- [28:00] Self-advocacy
- [36:30] Ego-driven decisions
- [39:00] Ego + external validation actually isn’t ALL bad
- [42:00] Career driven self-worth
- [45:00] Self-worth + social media
- [46:00] Promoting your own self-worth
- [49:00] AD: Join our next monthly COLLECTIVE on the 3rd Thursday of each month. It is our free monthly community event where we unpack an aspect of authenticity while connecting, reflecting, sharing, listening, and being ourselves alongside others who are also practicing living their TRUE NORTH. March is all about THE CONTRAST – acknowledging your messy TRUE NORTH. Sign-up here!
- [55:30] Intentions
- [58:10] Chasing your dreams
- [1:01:00] Happiness diminishing returns
- [1:03:00] How does resentment + happiness relate to self-worth?
- [1:06:00] Self-worth as a muscle
- [1:12:00] The leaking tire
- [1:14:00] Unconditional self-worth
- [1:20:20] How do you live your TRUE NORTH in 1 word with full self-worth?
- Connect with Kaity via IG @kaity216, Lizzie via IG @lizziesomabutcollie, and Jack via email email@example.com + firstname.lastname@example.org