Welcome to the TRUE NORTH COLLECTIVE PODCAST: SEASON 3! With co-hosts Rachel Bellotti and Jenell Riesner, this is a gathering of un-sugar-coated conversations celebrating the untold stories of everyday people fearlessly finding and living their true north.
In our own search to discover and live from our TRUE NORTH, we continue to meet many interesting, courageous people from all walks of life, doing all sorts of amazing things to live life in their own unique way. Stories from all over the world. Stories with heart. Stories with grit. Stories with plot twists. Stories going untold - until now. This season, we celebrate these untold stories of everyday people who are fearlessly living their true north and inspiring each of us to do the same.
Today, we continue talking to our dear friend, former co-worker, and Ragnar team member, Courtney Nikolay, aka Scout Lacroix. Courtney has had 29 jobs since graduating from college, currently working in biotech and recently launched a blog called Tiny Steps - a journey of how to improve your choices to make better behaviors that lead to better habits. She is FULL ON firecracker, hilarious story-teller, genuine human on a mission to figure out who she is on this journey called life. We continue our conversation on getting debt-free, gratitude, taking back control of what we can actually control, psychic energy, the “perfect” job, and learning to embrace the process. The conversation was so good, we had to break it into two episodes - this is PART 2.
*note: this episode includes explicit language appropriate for those ages 16+
- Dave Ramsey
- The 5 Second Rule by Mel Robbins
- Sarah Philipp at Abundelicious
- An Anecdote to Dissatisfaction video by Kurzgesagt
- The Miracle Morning by Hal Higdon
- THRIVE a human development company
- Music from: https://www.jukedeck.com/
3 KEY TAKEAWAYS:
- There is always an opportunity to allow your perspective to shift. We tend to only look at things through our own lens, yet there are millions of perspectives on any given situation. If a perspective isn’t serving you anymore or is causing pain and discomfort, you can actually switch your perspective. And you are allowed to do that whenever you want. Even after years of thinking something was one way, you can shift and change your mind and that doesn’t mean you are a flake or fake or hypocrite! It means that you are a human that just got new information and data and so now you have a new perspective.
- The power of a plan, seeing the bigger picture, and creating doable baby steps can give direction and authentic tiny actions that can build momentum and habit over time, leading to real change. And the funny thing is that you actually get more out of the process of creating the plan, building the rituals, continuing to show up again and again then actually accomplishing the “end result”…because even though it doesn’t seem like it, all of it is the “end result”, not just when you cross the finish line.
- There are always many, many options available to you, which is why it is paramount to know what’s important to you and what is a priority for you to feel good so that you can choose the option that best fits your needs. There is no right or wrong, just different options with different paths and different outcomes and different types of success.
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [1:20] Why go to college?
- [8:00] External pressure
- [12:12] Paying for intangible value
- [16:00] The 5 Second Rule
- [18:00] Why are you buying it? No really, why are you buying it?
- [20:00] What’s the 1 min version or 1% action you could take?
- [34:00] Insatiable quest to find oneself
- [38:00] Confusing your professional self as a reflection of WHO YOU ARE
- [41:00] the “perfect” job
- [46:00] Happiness at the expense of the full human experience
- [52:00] Routines + living a “level 10 life”
- [1:00:00] Discernment + the process
- [1:09:00] How are you living your TRUE NORTH?
- [1:11:00] “How you spend your days is how you spend your life” + Tantra
- [1:14:30] Contact Courtney via IG @scoutlacroix or follower her blog Tiny Steps and learn new ways to build better habits, behaviors, and choices + find ways to laugh at yourself when you don’t!