Welcome to THE TRUE NORTH COLLECTIVE℠ PODCAST: SEASON 3! With co-hosts Rachel Bellotti (she/her) and Jenell Riesner (she/her), this is a gathering of un-sugar-coated conversations celebrating the untold stories of everyday people fearlessly finding and living their true north.
In our own search to discover and live from our TRUE NORTH, we continue to meet many interesting, courageous people from all walks of life, doing all sorts of amazing things to live life in their own unique way. Stories from all over the world. Stories with heart. Stories with grit. Stories with plot twists. Stories going untold – until now. This season, we celebrate these untold stories of everyday people who are fearlessly living their true north and inspiring each of us to do the same.
Today, we have part 1 of a conversation with Maaia Geis (she/her), a virtual friend from Regina in Saskatchewan, former spin instructor, interested in psychology with a focus in neuroscience, and currently working on a coaching certification with a program called Becoming a Soul Coach. We discuss how connecting mind and body is where true wellness exists, how to listen to your body, knowing when we push our bodies too hard, prioritizing recovery, and the potential future of the wellness industry. Plus, we throw in some weird chatter about fear of horses and reviews of current streamed shows. Enjoy!
*note: this episode includes explicit language appropriate for those ages 16+
- Tiger King
- Castle Rock
- Fraggle Rock
- Get Out – Jordan Peele
- Music from: https://www.jukedeck.com/
3 KEY TAKEAWAYS:
- Movement, fitness, and physical activity is actually a practice in getting to know your body – understanding different sensations that arise, listening to what your body is saying, and responding to different types of activities. However, we tend to use fitness as a way to prove how much we can do and prove how far we can push ourselves as a glorified endeavor. We so often hear about upping our mental game so that we can reach these physical feats, but what about upping our body game? What if we could understand and decipher what our body is also telling us, what it needs, and what insights it has to provide? When we can connect the head and the body, we have a full system that can be used for our overall wellness and well-being. We can understand what fitness works best for us and when we are pushing our edge in a healthy way or merely wrecking our bodies for some arbitrary external glory.
- How recovered are you? What do you need to do to take care of your body? These are questions we aren’t really used to asking ourselves living in a world that prioritizes stamina and physical performance over all else! And yet these questions are so important because not every day and everything is about going as hard as you can. Sometimes the best thing you can do is slow down. To take it easy. To stop. The pausing and recovering is just as important as the actual working out. We need BOTH. And in fact, sometimes less is actually better and taking time for breaks can actually improve performance.
- Who is making the call here, my ego, or my soul? Invite yourself to ask who is driving the decisions and actions around fitness AND your life. You might be surprised by the things that you think you are doing for your health or for yourself that are actually coming from a place of trying to look good or validate your enoughness (ego). And maybe your soul would make a different call? Are you willing to listen?
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [1:30] Fear of horses + llama + camels
- [8:00] Shows during quarantine
- [14:30] AD: Season 2’s Chelsey Charbenaeu has just launched BREATHE AT HOME – streamed meditation, reflection, and conversations on wellness – only $19.99/mo! Use promo code: RACHEL5 to get $5 off/mo.
- [15:30] Introducing Maaia!
- [17:50] Where the hell is Saskatchewan?
- [23:00] Connecting mind + body for wellness: embodied presence
- [28:00] The “too much” side of fitness
- [39:00] The ego vs the soul
- [41:00] Shifting fitness industry norms
- [36:00] Whoop – knowing when to take a break
- [50:00] Fitness comparison + industry expectations
- [56:00] Modifying + going back to the basics to TRULY get better
- [1:09:00] How do you live your TRUE NORTH?
- [1:09:30] Contact Maaaia via IG @maaaaiageis