Welcome to the TRUE NORTH COLLECTIVE PODCAST: SEASON 2! With co-hosts Rachel Bellotti and Jenell Riesner, this is a gathering of un-sugar-coated conversations celebrating the untold stories of everyday people fearlessly finding and living their true north.
In our own search to discover and live from our TRUE NORTH, we have met so many interesting, courageous people from all walks of life, doing all sorts of amazing things to live life in their own unique way. Stories from all over the world. Stories with heart. Stories with grit. Stories with plot twists. Stories going untold – until now. This season, we continue to connect with and celebrate these untold stories of everyday people who are fearlessly living their true north and inspiring each of us to do the same.
Today, we chat with Chelsey Charbeneau, meditation teacher and yoga therapist. She is by no means your typical yoga/meditation teacher. She was a successful career women in finance, who used to hate “those types of people”. After years of grinding in the corporate world, she found that hated herself, and choose to do the exact opposite of what she was doing. She thought, “Either I was going to go crazy, or I had to do something crazy.”
We are diving into the world of spiritual wellness and learning how to listen for our hearts, while sharing our appreciation for select four letter words. We take time to meditate together and learn how meditation can be used as a tool to learn more about ourselves. We invite you to meditate with us and learn why meditation may be what your wellness routine is missing.
*note: this episode includes explicit language appropriate for those ages 16+
Music from: https://www.jukedeck.com/
3 KEY TAKEAWAYS:
- We all have that inner all-knowing feeling. If we listen to our body and heart we know our own truth and that can change our lives. Most of what our minds say isn’t truth. Your mind might not know, but your heart will. The head is very strong, but the heart never lies.
- Moments that can change your perspective don’t have to be some BIG experiences like getting sick or getting in an accident. You can find your “unlock” anywhere, at anytime, if you are open to being there and hearing it.
- How to use meditation as a tool to get to know yourself better. It is about giving yourself the space to get comfortable with the space. Hear your own experiences moment to moment. Meditation isn’t a magic eight ball, a physic, you won’t be levitating after a five-minute session. It is about using everything you learn as an experience for growth, learning, or a higher purpose. Everything and anything can be meditation.
TIME STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [1:00] Welcome to Episode 3
- [2:02] Our celebrity crushes
- [5:20] Welcoming Chelsey to the podcast
- [7:33] Chelsey’s introduction to meditation
- [9:15] That itch that turned your life upside down
- [16:30] Our head vs. our heart
- [18:35] Chelsey guides us through a short meditation
- [26:14] A newbie, comparing meditation experiences
- [28:08] The myths behind meditation, feeling like it should give you all the answers
- [29:57] How do I know if I am meditating?
- [33:31] How does Chelsey define meditation?
- [36:05] Permission to move while meditating, it is a part of the experience
- [39:00] How do you know if someone is a good meditation teacher?
- [42:54] How often should you meditate?
- [45:21] The importance of rituals, keeping up with them, and letting them evolve
- [49:10] Being a human AND being well versed in the world of meditation
- [54:18] What does spiritual wellness mean to us?
- [1:00:00] What has been most impactful for Rachel during her meditation teacher training
- [1:02:24] Difference between mindfulness and meditation
- [1:04:00] Where to start your meditation practice
- [1:06:00] Letting go of judgement and change how we speak to ourselves
- [1:09:40] How does Chelsey live her true north?