Welcome to the TRUE NORTH COLLECTIVE PODCAST: SEASON 3! With co-hosts Rachel Bellotti and Jenell Riesner, this is a gathering of un-sugar-coated conversations celebrating the untold stories of everyday people fearlessly finding and living their true north.
In our own search to discover and live from our TRUE NORTH, we continue to meet many interesting, courageous people from all walks of life, doing all sorts of amazing things to live life in their own unique way. Stories from all over the world. Stories with heart. Stories with grit. Stories with plot twists. Stories going untold – until now. This season, we celebrate these untold stories of everyday people who are fearlessly living their true north and inspiring each of us to do the same.
Today, we are trying something new – we have recorded an episode of an actual INTENTION SETTING workshop, in real-time so that you guys can follow along with us and experience the magic of intention setting from the comfort of your own home. We have found intention setting to be a total game-changer in creating powerful change for us and so we wanted to offer it to YOU as we start this new year (and new decade)! We bring on Judy Dejno, Partner at THRIVE – a human development company, Mindset Coach (she’s actually Rachel’s life coach), and all-around superb human to co-facilitate this impactful workshop with our very own, Rachel. So, find a comfortable + quiet space, print out the intention setting worksheet, grab your favorite drink, put on some gentle background music, maybe grab a few friends if you want to experience this alongside others, and get ready to connect inward so that you can rock the year + decade ahead!
*note: this episode includes explicit language appropriate for those ages 16+
- THRIVE – a human development company
- THRIVE Pro Skills Training Program (understanding you + how to own your value)
- THRIVE Influencer Training Program (how to own your influence in your life + in the world)
- Intention Setting Workshop (link to PDF)
- Rainbow Moonstone
- Black Kyanite
- Music from: https://www.jukedeck.com/
3 KEY TAKEAWAYS:
- Intention setting can be a beautiful compliment to goal-setting + new year’s resolutions. Intention setting creates agility and is a centering point (or rudder) that reconnects you to the essence of what you want to experience now and moving forward. This can be helpful to get clear on who you want to be, and also when specific goals or desires go awry, or when life happens and throws wrenches, or unexpected opportunities show up, we have something to come back to and check in with on how we want to proceed in a way that aligns with who we set out to be. It can also be a stand-alone practice that is used daily or ad hoc, as inspired.
- Experiencing things in a group can be a really powerful way of being witnessed, seen, and heard while you share what is happening on the inside. Hearing your own self-talk through your experience in front of witnesses can unlock new insights as you are forced to put words to all that is swirling inside you – sometimes you hear yourself for the first time and then have more tangible evidence of what is going on inside so that you can choose what you want to do with it. And on the flip, being a witness to others is just as powerful – to see and hear another point of view is a way to expand your own views and learn new approaches to life and living and processing being human.
- When we attach happiness, or any other desired state, ONLY to the end-result or accomplishment of a goal (that may or may not actually give us what we think it will), we lose the ability to experience that desired state right now. We hold the desired state hostage. We delay our ability to experience what we want in the present moment because it is tied to, and contingent upon, a specific set of circumstances that is largely out of our control. So, what if we invite yourselves to decouple the thing we want to do/have from how we want to experience/feel/be? What if we invite ourselves to see the two as complementary elements and allow ourselves to experience the thing we want NOW, alongside (and regardless of) the goals we are going after? We actually don’t have to wait for the specific set of external circumstances to show up for us to experience the feelings we want to feel today.
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [3:00] Growing up as a “harbor rat” on a boat on Lake Michigan
- [8:00] Developing a healthy respect for water
- [14:00] Trust muscle
- [16:00] Importance of crying
- [18:00] Introducing Judy!
- [26:00] BEGIN the intention setting workshop here