#6: NATURE’S GLITTER: THE POWER OF JUST STARTING + BEING NICE.
We are Rachel Bellotti and Jenell Riesner, co-hosts of the TRUE NORTH COLLECTIVE PODCAST, exploring everyday people fearlessly finding and living their true north.
We have met so many interesting people from all walks of life living fascinating and inspiring lives whose stories aren’t being told. This season we are excited to connect with and celebrate the untold stories of everyday people from Sheboygan, WI, to Santa Monica, CA, who are living their true north and inspiring each of us to do the same.
Introducing Kate Kent, founder of Nice Hair a collaborative community salon in Milwaukee, WI. She’s an artist, wild child, connector, and forever student with a mission to bring people together, support them in feeling great, having fun, and live their best life. And creating some cool shit with hair along the way!
*note: this episode includes explicit language appropriate for those ages 16+
- Nice Hair Milwaukee Salon
- Hair by Kate:
- Hairbrained: a salon networking platform
- Intro music from Jukedeck – create your own at http://jukedeck.com
3 KEY TAKEAWAYS:
- Your dream life might actually be in the process of getting where you’re going. It’s not always about the end result.
- Taking care of each other and sharing it forward is actually a profitable business practice and helps all of us, especially within competitive spaces. We each (and brands) uniquely live out the universal trade secrets, so we don’t need to hoard them as much as we think. What sets you apart is you, not the skill.
- Everyday we live in the grey, and are you are choosing to head towards the light or towards the dark? Work towards the feeling you want to feel every day. Do things that get you more of the feelings you want and don’t do the things that get you less of the feelings you want.
TIME STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [15:01] Who is Kate Kent?
- [18:00] Handling curveballs
- [21:10] Opening up a new type of salon in Milwaukee
- [24:47] The secret sauce of success is in being kind to one another
- [29:30] You can’t steal someone who doesn’t want to be stolen
- [30:00] Climbing out of the hole of fear + using it as motivation
- [32:47] We all have the choice to feel how we want to feel – are you on your way towards the light or towards the dark?
- [36:50] Allowing things to fall apart that are falling apart
- [38:29] Experimenting with life
- [40:50] How do you fuel yourself to be proud of who you show up as each day?
- [49:00] Starting Nice Hair Milwaukee
- [1:01:17] Making connections with people
- [1:03:00] Skills can be taught, but figuring out yourself is hard and is important…what do you actually want?
- [1:16:25] Connect with Kate Kent via email: email@example.com and IG: @nicehairmke_salon
- [1:08:40] Thank you for listening + reach out on our website if inspired