Welcome to the TRUE NORTH COLLECTIVE PODCAST: SEASON 3! With co-hosts Rachel Bellotti and Jenell Riesner, this is a gathering of un-sugar-coated conversations celebrating the untold stories of everyday people fearlessly finding and living their true north.
In our own search to discover and live from our TRUE NORTH, we continue to meet many interesting, courageous people from all walks of life, doing all sorts of amazing things to live life in their own unique way. Stories from all over the world. Stories with heart. Stories with grit. Stories with plot twists. Stories going untold – until now. This season, we celebrate these untold stories of everyday people who are fearlessly living their true north and inspiring each of us to do the same.
Today, we’re kicking off Season 3 by diving right into some “real shit”. From being alive and searching for fulfillment, normalizing normal bodies + adult acne, aging gracefully, being a product of societal narratives, and never being afraid to keep asking questions. We are grateful to bring you another year of great conversations with people who are fearlessly finding and living their TRUE NORTH. Welcome to a New Year and New Decade!
*note: this episode includes explicit language appropriate for those ages 16+
- A River Runs Through It
- The Egg by Andy Weir + Kurzgesagt
- An Anecdote to Dissatisfaction video by Kurzgesagt
- Music from: https://www.jukedeck.com/
3 KEY TAKEAWAYS:
- What if beauty standards shifted so that we didn’t have to demonize anyone for how they wanted to express themselves? Some might choose to wear a lot of make-up, some may choose to wear none, and some may choose all the in-betweens and extremes of it. Each is simply a different path. Not better or worse. All options can coexist and none are evil or bad, just different approaches, different priorities, different goals to take into consideration around which path you choose today around beauty.
- We spend so much time worrying about how we look and sound and what people think of us and what we are going to do that we forget to LIVE our lives. And all worrying really does is beget more worrying. So by worrying, you are reinforcing the unproductive discomfort and getting really good at practicing worrying VS practicing trust and presence to truly experience the life we are fortunate enough to be living!
- Never stop asking questions. There is always more to discover, to question, to unpack, to get curious about – that’s on the other side of a bold and courageous question. Not to mention, when you ask the question, it forces you to listen to different perspectives, which opens you up to new possibilities and paths to choose from.
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [1:30] Normalizing normal bodies + adult acne
- [5:00] Societal quick fixes
- [9:00] Being comfortable with my body
- [13:50] Tuning out the opinions of others
- [22:00] Beauty de-ranking + coexistence
- [26:30] Anti-acne mindfulness practice
- [28:30] What if you could embrace aging?
- [31:30] Being a product of your environment + cultural narratives
- [36:00] How can we use marketing for better things?
- [40:00] Changing employment + professional norms
- [46:00] Is happiness really the end goal?
- [49:00] Welcome to season 3 + Happy New Year!