Get ready for THE TRUE NORTH COLLECTIVE℠ PODCAST: SEASON 4! With co-hosts Rachel Bellotti (she/her) and Jenell Riesner (she/her), this is a gathering of un-sugar-coated conversations celebrating the untold stories of everyday people fearlessly finding and living their true north.
In our own search to discover and live from our TRUE NORTH, we continue to meet many interesting, courageous people from all walks of life, doing all sorts of amazing things to live life in their own unique way. Stories from all over the world. Stories with heart. Stories with grit. Stories with plot twists. Stories going untold - until now. This season, we continue to celebrate these untold stories of everyday people who are fearlessly living their true north and inspiring each of us to do the same.
Today, we’re doing something a little bit different! Last year (2019), we recorded some audio around Valentine’s Day all about our reflections on love. It never saw the light of day because it included some raw, vulnerable, and really fresh experiences that we weren’t ready to share publicly yet. This year we thought it might be fun to dust off this content and re-listen to it while reflecting on where we are NOW - one year later. So, this episode will be a mix of the original audio coupled with pauses and interjections of our reflections today - how things have changed, how they have remained the same, where we call bull shit on ourselves, and where we celebrate our wisdom. It’s an endearing episode all about the non-linear roller coaster ride of love, soul mates, love languages, dating, relationships, being true to yourself, and showing up for what you believe in. Enjoy!
*note: this episode includes explicit language appropriate for those ages 16+
- #amplifymelanatedvoices @kiergaines
- #amplifymelanatedvoices @sylvestermcnutt
- #amplifymelanatedvoices @yung_pueblo
- SIngle. On Purpose. by John Kim
- Music from: https://www.jukedeck.com/
3 KEY TAKEAWAYS:
- The practice of walking your walk is a HUGE part of the journey. Sometimes we know what we want to do, but we still don’t do it. It’s really normal to have a gap between knowing and doing. And when we realize that there is a gap, it is our responsibility to figure out how to bridge that gap. And it doesn’t have to change over night, but just take small, doable steps that allow you to start to walk your talk. Otherwise we are just unreliable talking heads.
- Notice the types of people you are wanting to date or are attracted to in your life (in a romantic or non-romantic relationship) and the characteristics that they possess that you want to be around. It may be indicative of the qualities that you are actually looking to amplify within yourself. Can you pay attention to those qualities that you seek in others and start to ask yourself how you can cultivate them within yourself? Don’t outsource your desires to another person, empower yourself to bring them to life within yourself.
- Relationships aren’t just about getting. They are about giving + getting. They are about giving from a place of wholeness. They are about learning how to show up and experience what it’s like to truly give love to another humxn. It’s not just about receiving love and support (it is also about that), but are you also giving yourself the chance to know giving love unconditionally? That is such a gift + a beautiful part of relationships.
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [2:20] Walking your talk
- [6:00] Do you like Valentine’s Day?
- [8:30] Writing a love letter to yourself
- [18:10] A period of being alone
- [19:30] Self-love as a practice
- [22:00] When do you stop thinking/caring/loving yourself?
- [24:00] Growth takes time
- [28:00] Cultivating what you want in a relationship, within you
- [30:00] Running into the fire
- [35:00] Blame vs accountability
- [36:30] Choosing yourself is not selfish
- [44:20] Be the soulmate that you want to be
- [52:00] Being a picky dater
- [55:00] Making out for the first time at the age of 20
- [1:02:00] I am gorgeous!
- [1:02:40] Just be yourself + always check-in with yourself
- [1:05:30] The checklist
- [1:09:30] Getting vs giving in relationships
- [1:14:00] Being in alignment with self
- [1:16:30] Letting people show you who they are
- [1:20:00] Making decisions from a grounded place
- [1:24:20] Knowing you + your nuances
- [1:26:15] Being proud of self + celebrating self