Welcome to THE TRUE NORTH COLLECTIVE℠ PODCAST: SEASON 3! With co-hosts Rachel Bellotti (she/her) and Jenell Riesner (she/her), this is a gathering of un-sugar-coated conversations celebrating the untold stories of everyday people fearlessly finding and living their true north.
In our own search to discover and live from our TRUE NORTH, we continue to meet many interesting, courageous people from all walks of life, doing all sorts of amazing things to live life in their own unique way. Stories from all over the world. Stories with heart. Stories with grit. Stories with plot twists. Stories going untold – until now. This season, we celebrate these untold stories of everyday people who are fearlessly living their true north and inspiring each of us to do the same.
Today, we continue our conversation to close out 2020 with part 2 of our reflection episode from Rachel + Jenell, co-creators and co-hosts of the TRUE NORTH COLLECTIVE podcast. In part 1, we focused on Jenell’s biggest 2020 take-aways around loneliness, and this week we talk about Rachel’s biggest take-away and learning from 2020 – cultivating inner safety. In this episode we discuss being able to experience life without getting rocked by it, cutting out what is no longer worker in your life, embodied trauma recovery + polyvagal theory, examining the parts of ourselves that are hard to look at, recovery + community help, saving yourself, and the power of conversation.
*note: this episode includes explicit language appropriate for those ages 16+
- #amplifymelanatedvoices @narcissismrecoverycenter
- #amplifymelanatedvoices @theangreytherapist
- #amplifymelanatedvoices @nedratawwab
- Polyvagal Theory
- Dallas Healing House
- Music from: https://www.jukedeck.com/
3 KEY TAKEAWAYS:
- What in your life needs to fall away in order to continue to expand into who you truly are? Sometimes things can stay and be integrated while we shift and expand. Sometimes the things need to completely get cut out. It’s important to check-in with yourself to see which your heart truly needs right now because either option can be an unhealthy one or very healthy one, depending on where you are and what’s truly needed. Cutting bait before you’re ready might just be running away or it could be choosing yourself. Staying and figuring out how to make something work can be taking responsibility for your change or it could be controlling and manipulative or denying what is there that needs to be addressed. And no matter which you choose, for whichever reasons you choose, there is ALWAYS learnings and growth to be had. It’s all for you.
- Can you stand grounded in who you are, amidst the things going on around you? Can you be aware and present to what is here (no matter how messy or chaotic) and stay centered within yourself and who you want to be. Can you honor who you are, while you are honoring where other people are, even if the outcome is uncertain or the reactions are coming at you? Can you stay connected to you, regardless of what’s going on around you and choose from that place who you want to be within the broader experience you are having? This is authentic coexistence.
- What if we could support people by being with them while they save themselves instead of being with them to try and fix something or trying to save them (or trying to get others to save us)? What if we were able to embody the energy of, “I know you’ve got you, you don’t need me, and I am here with you while you remember that you’ve got you. Cause I am not going to be the one who saves you. You are going to save you. And visa versa.”?
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [1:20] Experiencing life without being rocked by it
- [2:45] A massive letting go to be able to continue your journey
- [4:15] Cultivating safety in your body
- [5:30] Somatic therapy + tools
- [5:50] Living in survival mode
- [7:00] Polyvagal Theory
- [14:15] Quicksand
- [16:00] Triggers
- [21:40] Recovery + support groups
- [23:18] Community help vs self-help
- [24:35] AD: As you know, Rachel is a life coach, and to wrap up this crazy year, we’re excited to offer our TNC community an exclusive 10% off any/all life coaching packages/sessions purchased with Rachel between now + 1/31/21. Simply email firstname.lastname@example.org + mention promo code TRUENORTHHOLIDAYS. <3
- [25:22] The judgment mirror
- [28:25] Allowing people to save themselves
- [30:00] Realities of expecting to be saved by others
- [32:55] Noticing the fine nuances of life
- [34:15] AD: If you are in the Milwaukee area, SPIRE fitness is offering a special TRUE NORTH COLLECTIVE promotion for our listeners! You can purchase a 15-class package for the price of 10, simply go to their website or the mind-body app to get 5 free classes + get your sweat on!
- [35:45] Grateful for our guests + these podcast conversations in contributing to our growth + expansion
- [38:38] Season 4 teaser