Get ready for THE TRUE NORTH COLLECTIVE℠ PODCAST: SEASON 4! With co-hosts Rachel Bellotti (she/her) and Jenell Riesner (she/her), this is a gathering of un-sugar-coated conversations celebrating the untold stories of everyday people fearlessly finding and living their true north.
In our own search to discover and live from our TRUE NORTH, we continue to meet many interesting, courageous people from all walks of life, doing all sorts of amazing things to live life in their own unique way. Stories from all over the world. Stories with heart. Stories with grit. Stories with plot twists. Stories going untold - until now. This season, we continue to celebrate these untold stories of everyday people who are fearlessly living their true north and inspiring each of us to do the same.
Today, we speak with Emily Watson, a soul friend + incredible humxn. Rachel first met Emily through Thrive - a humxn development company + they quickly became close friends who could talk about literally anything. Professionally, Emily is a school counselor turned life coach turned helpful hardware folk, helping to run her family’s Ace Hardware business. She’s curious and always learning, has a passion for learning + development, a seeker of new experiences, and she’s a Highly Sensitive Person (HSP). We talk about allowing the unfolding, not needing to know what’s next, getting stuck in how you think you want your life to go, learning to trust your intuition, twisting career journeys, revalidating decisions, redefining the definition of finding your purpose, the path of unbecoming, chasing life, controlling, sincere self-compassion, boundaries + resentment, and the Tao. This is a grounded + curious conversation about life + existing through the lens of our everyday experiences. Emily is a wise owl that gently challenges the status quo + we are so grateful for her voice in this world. <3
*note: this episode includes explicit language appropriate for those ages 16+
- #amplifymelanatedvoices @femalecollective
- #amplifymelanatedvoices @sylvestermcnutt
- #amplifymelanatedvoices @dellahickswilson
- Nono, Ecuador
- The Calm Center
- IG @tobemagnetic
- The Path of The Serpent Owl poem by Maya Luna
- Music from: https://www.jukedeck.com/
3 KEY TAKEAWAYS:
- What if you let go of what you thought your life was supposed to be? What if you allowed the unfolding to show you what is possible? What if you didn’t need to know what’s next? What if what you thought you wanted wasn’t as great as what is actually meant for you? Sometimes we try so hard to control the outcome that we miss even better possibilities or simpler ways of moving through life. We definitely need to show up and participate in our lives, but what if we were better able to let go of ALL the control to allow space for life to co-create with us? To show us something we never would have imagined?
- We hear so often to just let it go + move on, but if there is genuinely a question mark still there, you might be doing yourself a bit disservice by not staying + playing a little longer. There are lessons in everything we experience + when we bounce too quickly, we might not get to complete the lesson + run the risk of having to go through it again later. So, maybe it would actually be more efficient to actually stay if you are feeling the urge to stay, until you have gotten all you were meant to get from this experience. You will know when it’s time to move on + you will also know when you are running away + avoiding the lesson. Listen so you can consciously choose what you want right now. To delay the lesson or to get uncomfortable?
- What if the path of our lives isn’t about building up who are supposed to be? What if it is about stripping back to who we’ve always been? And walking the path of unbecoming to get closer to who we actually are.
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [0:30] Driving like you run + road rage
- [3:15] Visiting 4 ecosystems of Ecuador
- [5:00] Horses - do they heal or create fear?
- [9:00] AD: Get excited for the next installment of our workshop series! On May 6th @7-8:15pm CST, we will be hosting a workshop all about roadblocks. What do you do when the road you’re on starts to get bumpy or the plans you’ve been working towards get disrupted? It can be frustrating, but if we get stuck in that frustration, we forget there is choice. This workshop is space to acknowledge where we might be stuck in the roadblock, seemingly unable to move, and see if we can loosen up our grip a bit to create more possibilities in making our next move. AND FOR MAY we have a special promo offer for our podcast listeners, if you have never been to one of our workshops, we are offering your first workshop for free! Simply sign-up here + use the promo code: TNCPODCAST. Can’t wait to see you there!
- [10:30] Welcome, Emily!
- [14:22] Allowing the unfolding + not needing to know what’s next
- [18:50] How do I trust?
- [23:00] Slowing down + listening to inner knowing or intuition
- [26:00] Twisting career journeys + revalidating past decisions
- [33:30] Wanting clarity so much that you get paralyzed
- [35:00] Choosing inaction
- [38:20] AD: Check out the Creative Business Accelerator program from our friend Megs Colleen, a life coach + creative consultant. In this program, you can expect support as you break down big business difficulties, shift your mindset, and rise as the powerful humxn you are. To get an extra $100 off this program, use the special promo code: TRUENORTH by May 31st, exclusively for our listeners. Learn more + sign up here!
- [40:00] Finding your purpose vs the path of unbecoming
- [47:00] Chasing life
- [50:30] Controlling is controlling is controlling
- [57:20] AD: The 3rd episode of That Girl Got Ghosted is now live! This is Jenell’s YouTube Series where she takes her Tinder dates to haunted hotels and films them for our viewing pleasure. The idea for this series is a mashup of the Bachelor meets Catfish meets Ghost Adventures. Check it out here!
- [58:00] Living an intentional life - doing what feels like it wants to be done
- [1:03:50] Sincere self-compassion
- [1:07:00] Resentment indicates boundaries that have been breached or haven’t been laid (wisdom from Mark Groves @createthelove)
- [1:11:00] Ask the question + then let it go
- [1:13:00] The Tao
- [1:16:20] How do you live your TRUE NORTH in 1 word?
- [1:16:30] Connect with Emily via email email@example.com