Get ready for THE TRUE NORTH COLLECTIVE℠ PODCAST: SEASON 4! With co-hosts Rachel Bellotti (she/her) and Jenell Riesner (she/her), this is a gathering of un-sugar-coated conversations celebrating the untold stories of everyday people fearlessly finding and living their true north.
In our own search to discover and live from our TRUE NORTH, we continue to meet many interesting, courageous people from all walks of life, doing all sorts of amazing things to live life in their own unique way. Stories from all over the world. Stories with heart. Stories with grit. Stories with plot twists. Stories going untold – until now. This season, we continue to celebrate these untold stories of everyday people who are fearlessly living their true north and inspiring each of us to do the same.
Today, we have another installment of our UNPACK series where we bring on a mash-up of voices from across the country as fellow travelers with different perspectives to discuss a specific topic. Today’s episode is all about chasing happiness + unpacking all the aspects of this sentiment + statement + experience. We are excited to chat with Christie Conochalla, LA-based filmmaker + awesome guest from Season 2 (listen here!), and Brandon Schwitter , podcaster, youtuber, and passionate winemaker based out of San Luis Obispo, CA. We wrestle with how to go from chasing vs walking happiness, not trying so hard, trusting, acknowledging a false sense of control, doing things for the love of doing things, the relationship between money + happiness, the hindrance of ideal feel states, minimalism, carving out happiness with what you have, how happiness relates to shame + money, happiness influence with others, and backing into happiness. This convo is honest + covers the gamut of how happiness + happiness expectations are woven into our lives + culture. Thank you, Christie + Brandon for being so open + giving in your perspectives + truths. We appreciate you both so much. <3
*note: this episode includes explicit language appropriate for those ages 16+
- #amplifymelanatedvoices @findingyourwaypodcast
- #amplifymelanatedvoices @intersectionalenvironmentalist
- #amplifymelanatedvoices @larissa_speaks
- Golden Girls
- Music from: https://www.jukedeck.com/
3 KEY TAKEAWAYS:
- Chasing anything is an act of control, and yet there is so much we have NO control over. So where do we need to honor the chase as a means to get us moving + when do we need to let go of the chase to allow the parts that we cannot control to unfold as they are meant to? It is an ongoing dance that we each must feel into + decide where that line in is between chasing + allowing. Because both actions are important aspects of life.
- As you seek out happiness, it’s important to also seek out where you suffer because those areas have a ton to teach you about where you are blocking yourself from living or holding yourself back. Befriending these areas of suffering can bring awareness to where we are unconsciously leaking energy, which is taking away from our reserves without us even realizing it. When we address our suffering, we can release the energy suck + eventually redirect that energy into what we DO want. But if we don’t know where our energy is leaking, then we cannot do anything about it. Be courageous in befriending your suffering. It’s absolutely worth it as it is one of the paths to what you truly want.
- What if instead of waiting around for the “perfect” pieces to be present to experience happiness, we were able to carve out our own happiness from what is already here? What if we flipped the script + started creating happiness from the present moment vs waiting for it to show up? It most likely will look different from what you expected, but who’s to say that it must only look one way? What if you can experience what you want now in one form + then also experience what you want later in the other form that you are hoping to work towards. What if you can have both? What if it isn’t either/or?
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [0:30} What is an UNPACK episode?
- [2:00] Welcome, Christie!
- [2:30] Welcome, Brandon!
- [4:44] Holding onto happiness
- [5:35] Stop chasing + it will show up
- [13:00] The benefit of the chase
- [17:00] Inner sense of identity loss
- [19:50] Walking happiness vs chasing happiness
- [22:50] AD: We have TRUE NORTH COLLECTIVE merch + we’re really excited about it!! Currently we are selling super soft, green crew neck sweatshirts with the white TNC logo. Check them out on our IG page @thetruenorthcollective_ + DM us if you are interested in repping this badass community! We love you all + appreciate your continued support. <3
- [23:20] Saying yes to what shows up
- [24:20] False sense of control
- [27:00] How do you define happiness?
- [30:00] Sources of happiness + suffering
- [34:30] For the love of doing things
- [40:00] Relationship between money + happiness
- [44:00] Is there an ideal feel state?
- [48:00] Shifting perceptions of alternative lifestyles
- [60:00] AD: Check out the Creative Business Accelerator program from our friend Megs Colleen, a life coach + creative consultant. In this program, you can expect support as you break down big business difficulties, shift your mindset, and rise as the powerful humxn you are. To get an extra $100 off this program, use the special promo code: TRUENORTH by May 31st, exclusively for our listeners. Learn more + sign up here!
- [54:00] Carving out happiness with what I have
- [59:10] Doing the work you enjoy doing
- [1:05:15] AD: Get excited for the next installment of our workshop series! On May 6th @7-8:15pm CST, we will be hosting a workshop all about roadblocks. What do you do when the road you’re on starts to get bumpy or the plans you’ve been working towards get disrupted? It can be frustrating, but if we get stuck in that frustration, we forget there is choice. This workshop is space to acknowledge where we might be stuck in the roadblock, seemingly unable to move, and see if we can loosen up our grip a bit to create more possibilities in making our next move. AND FOR MAY we have a special promo offer for our podcast listeners, if you have never been to one of our workshops, we are offering your first workshop for free! Simply sign-up here + use the promo code: TNCPODCAST. Can’t wait to see you there!
- [1:08:20] Happiness + shame
- [1:17:00] Happiness influence + impact on others
- [1:2700] Backing into happiness
- [1:28:30] How do you live your TRUE NORTH in 1 word?
- Connect with Christie via IG @cconochalla + Brandon via IG @bschwitty