Welcome to the TRUE NORTH COLLECTIVE PODCAST: SEASON 2! With co-hosts Rachel Bellotti and Jenell Riesner, this is a gathering of un-sugar-coated conversations celebrating the untold stories of everyday people fearlessly finding and living their true north.
In our own search to discover and live from our TRUE NORTH, we have met so many interesting, courageous people from all walks of life, doing all sorts of amazing things to live life in their own unique way. Stories from all over the world. Stories with heart. Stories with grit. Stories with plot twists. Stories going untold – until now. This season, we continue to connect with and celebrate these untold stories of everyday people who are fearlessly living their true north and inspiring each of us to do the same.
Today, we talk with Tiffeny Parker, a US Heptathlete, a USA Bobsled athlete, a Nutrition + Health Consultant, Corporate + Executive Leadership + Development Coach, a Speed Coach for some of the top Crossfit athletes, and a lululemon ambassador looking to build communities that bridge gaps for all people. We talk inner drive and where it comes from, giving yourself your best chance, being a powerful + strong female in a male dominant field, and creating a “home” through your community and the people around you.
*note: this episode includes explicit language appropriate for those ages 16+
- Ragnar Trail running
- Azusa Pacific University
- San Francisco State
- Bryan Clay – Silver + Gold Medalist Decathlon
- Mike Barnett
- Sharon Day-Monroe
- Evan Weinstock
- Wayne Gretzky
- Elana Meyers Taylor – “the Michelle Obama of bobsled”
- This is Us show
- Allison Forsythe
- Tiffeny’s Website
- Music from: https://www.jukedeck.com/
3 KEY TAKEAWAYS:
- Timing is everything. And life can change in a second. One hesitation and your life can look totally different. Not better or worse, just different. The best thing you can do is keep showing up and trust your gut and stick to your guns, even if it seems crazy.
- It’s important to have people in your court, on your team, around you who truly know you that way when you have a bad day, they can see it and know how to lift you up and help you navigate. And visa versa. And this can be inherited OR created.
- Being vulnerable and real is actually the secret sauce to success. If we cannot open up and get comfortable sharing our stories and who we are, then others cannot truly support us, we cannot truly build supportive communities, and most importantly, we cannot truly support ourselves – in moving past our own hurdles and fears because we aren’t addressing the real shit, we are just avoiding it and wasting precious time and energy.
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [1:18] Spelling your name wrong for most of you life
- [2:00] Collecting Starbucks cups
- [8:00] Typhoid vaccines + traveling to Egypt
- [12:14] Introducing Tiff!
- [14:00] Being a gold star chaser isn’t normal?
- [19:00] Racing street lights to get home before dark
- [23:00] Make sure you graduate from college
- [26:00] I had no idea I was a heptathlete
- [30:00] Importance of having a partner/team/trainer who knows you
- [39:00] I didn’t have time to be a kid because failure wasn’t an option
- [46:00] Doing everything possible to give YOU your best chance
- [53:00] Being a strong, powerful female today in a male dominant sport
- [1:06:00] How to create your dream?
- [1:12:00] Defining “home” when you live on the road
- [1:25:30] Learning to accept my body as a Bobsled athlete
- [1:33:00] Life after being a pro athlete
- [1:35:00] Living your TRUE NORTH
- [1:38:30] Contact Tiff via DM on IG @tiffiep