Welcome to THE TRUE NORTH COLLECTIVE℠ PODCAST: SEASON 3! With co-hosts Rachel Bellotti (she/her) and Jenell Riesner (she/her), this is a gathering of un-sugar-coated conversations celebrating the untold stories of everyday people fearlessly finding and living their true north.
In our own search to discover and live from our TRUE NORTH, we continue to meet many interesting, courageous people from all walks of life, doing all sorts of amazing things to live life in their own unique way. Stories from all over the world. Stories with heart. Stories with grit. Stories with plot twists. Stories going untold – until now. This season, we celebrate these untold stories of everyday people who are fearlessly living their true north and inspiring each of us to do the same.
Today, we talk to Lauren McAlister (she/her), co-owner of McAlister Training, Marketing Content Specialist at mindbody, and a Nutritional Therapy Consultant. We jam about body image and self worth, becoming aware of our own bodies and body comparison, recognizing when innocent habits turn into self-sabotage, addiction to body positivity, taking responsibility by walking our talk, surrendering to the grey area, seeing the beauty in each of us, and getting naked to no longer hide our bodies.
*note: this episode includes explicit language appropriate for those ages 16+
- #amplifymelanatedvoices @encouragingdietitian
- #amplifymarginalizedvoices @dietiananna
- #amplifymelanatedvoices coming soon! MY BLACK BODY podcast @jessicawilson.msrd
- #amplifymarginalizedvoices @sarahherron
- Topo Chico
- Crazy Water
- Untamed by Glennon Doyle
- Duncan Trussell Family Hour Podcast
- Music from: https://www.jukedeck.com/
3 KEY TAKEAWAYS:
- Something can start as an innocent habit and if we aren’t paying attention, it can turn into self-sabotage, self-harm, or addiction. Notice when the actions you are choosing take blind precedence over living and experiencing life. Notice when innocent habits become rigid rules that run your life. Notice when you are reaching and yet it never feels like enough. Notice when actions stem from self-hate vs self-love or self-kindness. And know that it is always ok to ask for support when we find ourselves unable to choose on behalf of ourselves or love for self.
- To borrow an idea from Glennon Doyle’s recent book, Untamed, where have you created an ideal humxn or an idealized version of yourself that you are trying to live up to? A ‘ghost’? And how has that illusion that you can never truly live up to (and changes over time to always stay just out of reach) keep you from actually living your life? Where are you living for unrealistic + out of reach ‘ghosts’ vs truly living?
- What if instead of forcing your body to do the things you think it’s supposed to do or should do (like workout every day, in this way, at this time, for this amount of time or you are “bad), we asked ourselves what our bodies need today? What DOES your body need today? Who does it want to be? What does it want to get up to? Or not get up to? Does it need to rest? If you cannot hear what it has to say that’s ok – we were never taught to listen! So, keep asking and keep listening until you DO hear it speak to you. Then make sure you take what it has to say seriously and genuinely show up for your body the way that it needs you to.
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [1:20] Water obsessions
- [6:45] Celebrity run-ins
- [18:18] AD: Join us on 7/29 as we host a 75-min digital workshop with @her.hq_ called YOUR BODY’S TRUE NORTH. This is a movement + reflective workshop to reconnect + strengthen an authentic relationship with your body. We only get one body, let’s take some time to listen to it’s innate wisdom + show it some love. Sign-up here!
- [19:00] Welcome, Lauren!
- [29:00] Innocent habits or self-sabotage?
- [43:00] Wasting so much time focusing on our physical bodies
- [47:30] Addiction to the drama of body positivity + self-help
- [49:00] Giving up ‘the ghost’
- [55:00] bridal bootcamp BULLSHIT!
- [1:00:00] Am I part of the problem?
- [1:10:00] Riding the wave of life in the grey area
- [1:12:00] Being ok being naked
- [1:20:00] Acknowledging that the way you speak to yourself is modeling for how the world will speak to us and each other
- [1:26:00] Spot the soul beauty in those around you
- [1:28:30] How do you live your TRUE NORTH?
- [1:18:30] Reach out to Lauren via mcalistertraining.com or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via FB or IG @mcalistertraining