#8: A LEAP OF FAITH: TAKING A YEAR OFF TO TRAVEL ACROSS ASIA
We are Rachel Bellotti and Jenell Riesner, co-hosts of the TRUE NORTH COLLECTIVE PODCAST, exploring everyday people fearlessly finding and living their true north.
We have met so many interesting people from all walks of life living fascinating and inspiring lives whose stories aren’t being told. This season we are excited to connect with and celebrate the untold stories of everyday people from Sheboygan, WI, to Santa Monica, CA, who are living their true north and inspiring each of us to do the same.
Today we’re welcoming Hanna Jeske from Sheboygan, WI! We first met Hanna as a client at SPIRE Fitness. In 2017, she quit her job, sold her things, and moved to Asia for a year with a calm courage to define life on her own terms. Now that Hanna is back state-side, she shares about about the mental and operational logistics of actually taking a year off to travel. We explore the ups, the downs, working at a refugee camp, experiencing true human kindness, learning to trust the journey (even if it’s faking confidence!), and how to integrating back into “normal” life.
*note: this episode includes explicit language appropriate for those ages 16+
3 KEY TAKEAWAYS:
- Within the first few weeks of traveling to a new place (or experiencing something anything new, really), it is normal to feel like you want to bolt! If this happens, check in with your expectations and preconceived notions – they are probably creating unnecessary internal drama. See if you can let them go and open yourself up to what is actually in front of you. There are so many new people and experiences to learn and grow from, but only if you allow yourself to be present.
- Traveling can allow you to practice living in the present and focusing on the now, rolling with the punches, and taking it one city at a time.
- When unsure about whether or not to take a risk, try that thing, take that leap of faith, always remember that everything ALWAYS works out in the end. Even if it doesn’t seem like it in the moment. The things that we are most unsure of and are nervous about have the capacity to be some of the most beautiful moments you experience in this life.
TIME STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [10:15] Hanna’s Introduction
- [12:20] Taking a leap of faith
- [13:30] Learning to live in the present with travel
- [15:20] Most inspiring moments from Asia trip
- [17:50] I was ready to go home from Thailand after the first week
- [19:15] Hardest part of the trip
- [20:50] What makes some people able to pursue even the craziest of dreams versus others?
- [22:30] Dealing with outside doubts about travel
- [24:45] Transitioning back to the US
- [26:05] Random acts of kindness
- [29:45] Taking the risk can start to build the trust in yourself to be able to take risks and build that muscle
- [32:20] Safety while traveling
- [34:30] Getting naked in a Korean spa
- [36:45] Disconnecting from technology + communicating old school
- [38:45] Everything works out in the end
- [39:30] Living with your parents
- [43:00] Connect with Hanna Jeske via IG: @dairylandkween
- [43:40] Thank you for listening + reach out on our website if inspired