Welcome to THE TRUE NORTH COLLECTIVE℠ PODCAST: SEASON 3! With co-hosts Rachel Bellotti (she/her) and Jenell Riesner (she/her), this is a gathering of un-sugar-coated conversations celebrating the untold stories of everyday people fearlessly finding and living their true north.
In our own search to discover and live from our TRUE NORTH, we continue to meet many interesting, courageous people from all walks of life, doing all sorts of amazing things to live life in their own unique way. Stories from all over the world. Stories with heart. Stories with grit. Stories with plot twists. Stories going untold - until now. This season, we celebrate these untold stories of everyday people who are fearlessly living their true north and inspiring each of us to do the same.
Today, we are talking to Kristin Goss (she/her) is a fellow meditation teacher at BREATHE meditation and wellness in Dallas. She is also a yoga teacher, creator of Dogma Soul - a lifestyle brand that leverages inspiration of handmades for the mind, body, and soul, and an avid traveler and wanderlust junkie. We first met over a conversation around what it’s like to find your authentic voice as a teacher and a mutual affinity for the healing effect of tears, and we quickly realized that the insights needed to be captured for more than just our ears. We chat leaving the corporate world to follow your dreams, the importance of crying to clear, the energetic influence of handmades and learning how to be our own version of a wise goofball.
*note: this episode includes explicit language appropriate for those ages 16+
- #amplifymelanatedvoices @ckyourprivilege intersession summer skool - an amazing interdisciplinary group of black women educators holding space for anti-racism education through an array of expertise + lenses
- #amplifymelanatedvoices comedian Sarah Jones at MOTH on not having to be a one-dimensional stereotype
- #amplifymelanatedvoices TEDx Talk with Dr. Tara Swart on Neuroscience + Nationalism
- Broadcity “What a wonderful world” episode
- SNL Newark “Airport Sushi” Skit
- Darryl Hammond “Cracked Up” documentary
- BREATHE Meditation + Wellness - 200 hr meditation teacher training
- Wat Pho Temple - Thai Massage Training
- Mark Graves Boundaries Course
- White Sands National Park
- Carlsbad Caverns National Park
- Guadalupe Mountains National Park
- Music from: https://www.jukedeck.com/
3 KEY TAKEAWAYS:
- What if you could just make a choice and then immediately just do it. No overthinking. No over-preparing. Just fully trusting and leaping. Allowing what shows up to show up and embracing the situation with curiosity, a beginner’s mind, and no preconceived ideas or notions. Giving yourself the space to meet people and things at face value and letting them tell you what they are today versus how they have been captured and retold. What baggage, expectations, roles, and weight would you be able to let go of to purely show up for each moment of your life and allow it to tell you who it is today? Who would you get to be then in that moment?
- As a facilitator, teacher, educator, guide, leader, etc. - where is the balance between being yourself in service of yourself + your truth, while also being in service of the material and content. When we represent a category, what is our responsibility to show up as expected vs swinging out to find our own voice with the material and within the space? When are we too concerned about being responsible for the “right way” of delivering the material that we don’t allow our true selves to come through? When do we elevate the content at the expense of ourselves? When are we too attached to being our unique selves to the point where we distract from the heart of what we are trying to share? What is your balance of staying true to yourself, while also honoring the concepts you are sharing? And allowing space for others to interpret those concepts in their authentic way, too.
- Sometimes, even when we show up our best, we rub people the wrong way or we create friction for the people around us. When this happens, check-in to see what is there for you to learn and grow through from the experience, and then see if there is an invitation to trust that you were the deliverer of an experience that was part of some plan that you may never be able to understand and that is ok. Our interactions always plant seeds within us and for those around us to grow when they are ready. Can we detach from needing to see the ultimate flowering of those seeds and trust in whatever role we happened to play vs wasting time judging ourselves and beating ourselves up when it wasn’t exactly what we wanted it to be? Do your best and detach from the outcome. Again and again and again.
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [1:20] Dreaming that your dog could drive
- [4:00] Foot fetiches + thumbs up foot
- [12:12] Men dressed up as babies
- [15:49] AD: Join THE COLLECTIVE: un-sugar-coated conversations about authenticity, live via zoom on the 1st Thursday of every month! Each month we unpack a different topic of authenticity - July is all about self-sabotage. Sign-up by joining our email list or click the link in our IG bio - see you there at 11am CST on 7/9 🙂
- [16:50] Welcome, Kristin!
- [22:00] Jumping off the cliff of corporate life
- [27:50] Finding your teaching voice
- [35:30] Comparison vs observation
- [42:00] Connecting to your niche
- [49:30] Being an influence of friction
- [53:00] Having a PhD in crying
- [1:03:00] Sensitivity confusion
- [1:07:00] Using emotions to become the best version of ourselves in life + in business
- [1:08:00] Clearing to create
- [1:10:00] Why handmade?
- [1:14:00] How do you live your TRUE NORTH in one word?
- [1:18:30] Reach out to Kristin via IG @dog__ma_ or via website dogmasoul.com