Welcome to THE TRUE NORTH COLLECTIVE℠ PODCAST: SEASON 3! With co-hosts Rachel Bellotti (she/her) and Jenell Riesner (she/her), this is a gathering of un-sugar-coated conversations celebrating the untold stories of everyday people fearlessly finding and living their true north.
In our own search to discover and live from our TRUE NORTH, we continue to meet many interesting, courageous people from all walks of life, doing all sorts of amazing things to live life in their own unique way. Stories from all over the world. Stories with heart. Stories with grit. Stories with plot twists. Stories going untold - until now. This season, we celebrate these untold stories of everyday people who are fearlessly living their true north and inspiring each of us to do the same.
Today, we talk to Lizzie Somabut (she/her), friend and former co-worker with a Masters in Counseling, a true passion for self-care, community, and leadership, she recently took a year off to travel around the world (learning about the COVID outbreak while abroad!), and now she’s pivoting her career into sustainability. From traveling abroad as a global pandemic hits to dealing with anxiety and practicing going with the flow, we chat about the importance of sharing with those closest to you how special they truly are, learning new languages, logistics of taking a year off to travel abroad, self-care, trusting your intuition, facing irrational fears, going deep, and embracing less to experience more impact in your life.
*note: this episode includes explicit language appropriate for those ages 16+
- #amplifymelanatedvoices @intersectionalenvironmentalist
- #amplifymelanatedvoices @blackgirlstraveltoo
- #amplifymelanatedvoices @sheinthemaking
- #amplifymarginalizedvoices PODCAST: She Explores (@she_explores) - insidious ways implicit bias creeps into our indoor & outdoor lives, the motivation behind their photography project Discovering Gender, and more with @appalachianexplorer. https://she-explores.com/podcast/perspective-shifts-ash-hobbs/
- Merit Coffee in Dallas, TX
- Coffee hand grinder
- World Nomads
- Soul of Egypt
- Music from: https://www.jukedeck.com/
3 KEY TAKEAWAYS:
- Consider the power of letter writing and sharing with people just how amazing they are. We don’t often take the time to acknowledge how incredible and important the people in our lives are to us, or to actually share it with them. And yet, when we do, it can be life-giving for everyone involved. Who is someone that you could reach out to and share just how much they mean to you?
- Have a plan…and then always be open to changing your plans. One of the consistent things in life is change, so always be ready for that reality to be present. Learning to trust and be agile, acknowledging dips and differences in expectations, can allow you to shift more quickly and adapt to the situation. Ultimately, getting back on with life vs wasting time mourning what could’ve been and not being present to the beauty that is right in front of you.
- It’s normal to be afraid prior to experiencing new places, new experiences, new things for the first time. Yet, when you go for it, all that fear washes away, and in hindsight being afraid seems so silly and unnecessary. Where are you feeling afraid not because you are in danger, but because it is new for you? Where are you stopping yourself from stepping into a new experience out of fear of the unknown? Is it time to take the leap and allow the fear to wash away? What do you need to step into that fear and trust the aliveness that is on the other side of that fear?
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [1:20] Just keep practicing!
- [5:35] A love of hobbies
- [6:30] Learning a new language
- [11:00] Coffee love!
- [17:07] AD: Join us 7/29 @6:30pm CST for a 75-min digital workshop with @her.hq_ called YOUR BODY’S TRUE NORTH. This is a movement + reflective workshop to reconnect + strengthen an authentic relationship with your body. We only get one body, let’s take some time to listen to its innate wisdom + show it some love. Sign-up here!
- [18:00] Welcome, Lizzie!
- [26:00] Learning about Covid-19 while abroad
- [33:30] COVID anxiety realities
- [38:00] Logistics of traveling abroad for a year
- [48:00] Visiting new places + changing cultural perceptions
- [56:00] Trusting your abilities + knowing your limits
- [1:05:00] Having a beginner’s mind
- [1:06:00] Self-care + wellness while traveling
- [108:00] Embracing less
- [1:12:40] How do you live your TRUE NORTH?
- [1:16:00] Reach out to Lizzie via IG @lizziesomabut