Welcome to THE TRUE NORTH COLLECTIVE℠ PODCAST: SEASON 3! With co-hosts Rachel Bellotti (she/her) and Jenell Riesner (she/her), this is a gathering of un-sugar-coated conversations celebrating the untold stories of everyday people fearlessly finding and living their true north.
In our own search to discover and live from our TRUE NORTH, we continue to meet many interesting, courageous people from all walks of life, doing all sorts of amazing things to live life in their own unique way. Stories from all over the world. Stories with heart. Stories with grit. Stories with plot twists. Stories going untold – until now. This season, we celebrate these untold stories of everyday people who are fearlessly living their true north and inspiring each of us to do the same.
Today, we talk to Lisa Bruno (she/her), aka “Bruno”, Chicago-native and one of Rachel’s best friends from college. She is proof of what a genuinely real friendship can look like that evolves and adapts over time to meet each person where they are at. Bruno has a heart of gold, she is charismatic, passionate, and an absolutely all-around incredible humxn. We talk about the battle between money and happiness within your career, ego, focusing on yourself, finding a therapist and coach, being a self-development junkie, boundaries, acknowledging the weight of our past, forgiveness to get free.
*note: this episode includes explicit language appropriate for those ages 16+
- #amplifymelanatedvoices @thelovelandfoundation
- #amplifymelanatedvoices @anonawellness
- #amplifymelanatedvoices @privtoprog
- #amplifymarginalizedvoices @thegreatunlearn
- The Angry Therapist
- Mark Groves Boundaries Course
- Landmark Forum
- Music from: https://www.jukedeck.com/
3 KEY TAKEAWAYS:
- Therapy is for the strong because you want to and are willing to grow. Therapy and life coaching and getting mental health support is a NORMAL part of being humxn and needs to be a NORMAL part of wellness routine and self-care. Different times of your life will call for different types of support. Different situations will require different modalities. And if someone isn’t a fit, that is more than ok! Simply part ways and keep looking until you find a fit that can support you on your journey of life. Because there is massive healing and power in being able to be witnessed being 100% yourself with another humxn who has no attachment to who you truly are.
- Notice the patterns in yourself and in your life. Don’t ignore or bury it, but really look at them, deeply. Because whatever you do not face now will keep showing up until you decide to actually look at it. In order to heal, we need to look at the things we would otherwise prefer not to look at until we have been able to shift and evolve and grow into who we want to be and actually are.
- We always have influence in every moment and situation, even if it doesn’t feel like we do. Every action or inaction is a choice that co-creates the experience we are having, which we are influencing and impacting. Where in your life have you told yourself that you don’t have influence, when in fact operating from a place of perceived lack of influence is STILL influencing the situation? We always have choice and influence, even when we think we don’t. Knowing that you have that power in your influence of existing, how do YOU want to show up?
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [2:00] Tics + vampires
- [5:25] Meaningful tattoos
- [9:30] Birds shitting on you
- [11:20] AD: Join THE COLLECTIVE, a coming together of our TNC community to have live conversations via zoom on how we are fearlessly finding + living our TRUE NORTH. Join us the 1st Thursday of every month to unpack a different topic of authenticity – August is all about connecting with your UNIQUE GIFTS. Sign-up for our mailing list or via the link in our IG bio – see you there on Thurs, 8/6 @6pm CST
- [12:12] Welcome, Bruno!
- [18:30] Realizing therapy isn’t just for “crazy” people
- [29:00] The power of being witnessed being yourself
- [35:00] Celebrating what’s working
- [41:00] Disrupting patterns
- [50:00] Acknowledging trauma
- [1:04:00] Connecting to your influence
- [107:00] The weight of your past
- [1:10:30] Forgiveness
- [1:17:20] Victimhood vs owning it
- [1:26:30] How do you live your TRUE NORTH?
- [1:26:50] Reach out to Bruno via IG (was @lbruno16, it has been updated since the recording to @lb_trust_in_the_journey) or email email@example.com