Get ready for THE TRUE NORTH COLLECTIVE℠ PODCAST: SEASON 4! With co-hosts Rachel Bellotti (she/her) and Jenell Riesner (she/her), this is a gathering of un-sugar-coated conversations celebrating the untold stories of everyday people fearlessly finding and living their true north.
In our own search to discover and live from our TRUE NORTH, we continue to meet many interesting, courageous people from all walks of life, doing all sorts of amazing things to live life in their own unique way. Stories from all over the world. Stories with heart. Stories with grit. Stories with plot twists. Stories going untold – until now. This season, we continue to celebrate these untold stories of everyday people who are fearlessly living their true north and inspiring each of us to do the same.
Today, we’re excited to kick off season 4 with Samantha Porter (aka Sam), avid runner, cycling instructor, Beachbody Coach, plant-based consumer, aspiring world traveler, Milwaukee influencer, and all around awesome, down-to-earth humxn to talk about the intersection of authenticity and social media. As we step into a new year and start to watch the motivational content roll-in, we take a pause to consider the intention behind what we post. Plus, we talk psychic readings, listening to the pain in your body, feeling worthless, noticing the good, getting laid off, pouring into others, not hoarding your wisdom, using social media to help people, redefining success for yourself, staying present, waiting for the data to show up to make the next decisions vs forcing it, and making social media approachable. We love you, Sam!!
*note: this episode includes explicit language appropriate for those ages 16+
- #amplifymelanatedvoices @decolonize_fitness
- #amplifymelanatedvoices @gingermarieblog
- Mary Ellen Pride Psychic
- Costar app
- Pet Psychic
- Thrive – a human development company
- TNC S3|E25 – Finding your Authentic Voice
- Music from: https://www.jukedeck.com/
3 KEY TAKEAWAYS:
- When things are feeling bleak, invite yourself to notice any good stuff around you. What lifts you up during your day? Take note of when and what lights you up, even if in the smallest ways and then prioritize those things again and again. Not to distract from reality. Not to avoid your feelings, but to ensure that you aren’t just losing sight of the bigger picture and sinking deeper and deeper into a perspective that might not be serving you and ultimately holding you back.
- Pay attention to where you find your sense of self-worth. Is it tied to a job? Your looks? Your relationships? Your athletic abilities? Your status? If your sense of self-worth is always tied to things outside of yourself then you will always live at the mercy of that thing, which you cannot truly control. Notice where that worth is and start to see if you can build your self-worth beyond that thing outside of you so that you can maybe start to feel good with or without it.
- Community help is an essential part of healing and becoming who we are meant to be. Where in your life can you allow someone to pour into you? Where in your life is it time to pour into someone else? We cannot and do not need to do this life alone. We DO need to be able to trust in ourselves and not put our happiness and healing into someone else’s hands, but we ARE meant to do this alongside other people and know we are NOT alone.
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [1:10] Psychic readings + discernment
- [6:15] Playing with the unknown
- [13:00] AD: Shout out to SPIRE Fitness – the first rowing, cycling, TRX studio in Milwaukee, and where Jenell + Rachel first met!! Times are tough for small businesses, so we wanted to invite anyone who feels inspired to support this amazing studio + incredible community through gift card purchases, class packages, social media follows. <3
- [14:14] Welcome, Sam!
- [18:00] Injury recovery + feeling worthless
- [24:00] Finding the good
- [27:00] Pouring into side hustles
- [29:00] Getting laid off
- [31:00] Where is your sense of self-worth?
- [34:30] AD: In 2021, we’re so excited to be offering live zoom workshops, every month, to support you in the journey of reconnecting to your TRUE NORTH. Join us on Jan 28th, as we kick-off the series with an INTENTION SETTING WORKSHOP – inviting you to reflect, unpack, + get clear on who you want to be + how you want to show up this year. Additionally, THE COLLECTIVE, our free community conversations on authenticity will now be held on the 3rd Thursday of the month. Learn more + sign up here.
- [35:30] Pouring into self + others
- [36:00] Self-help vs community help
- [38:00] You holding back is actually a disservice to the world
- [41:00] Authentic social media influence
- [48:00] Selling your struggles
- [55:55] Social media connections CAN change your life forever
- [1:01:00] Elevating the question marks
- [1:04:00] Using social media as a diary
- [1:07:15] Being overwhelmed by all the options
- [1:10:00] Allowing the data to show up
- [1:13:00] How do you live your TRUE NORTH in 1 word?
- [1:13:21] Connect with Sam via IG @runit_sam