#9: THE WIRELESS ATHLETE: FOLLOWING YOUR GIFTS
We are Rachel Bellotti and Jenell Riesner, co-hosts of the TRUE NORTH COLLECTIVE PODCAST, exploring everyday people fearlessly finding and living their true north.
We have met so many interesting people from all walks of life living fascinating and inspiring lives whose stories aren’t being told. This season we are excited to connect with and celebrate the untold stories of everyday people from Sheboygan, WI, to Santa Monica, CA, who are living their true north and inspiring each of us to do the same.
Today we welcome Vinnie Cent, creator of The Wireless Athlete. Rachel met Vinnie at November Project Dallas while he was at the beginning of his November Project roadtrip, a celebration of turning 30, a celebration of life. As a fellow teen cancer survivor, he is boldly living life in his own unique way and we knew he had a story worth sharing.
*note: this episode includes explicit language appropriate for those ages 16+
**note: the sound volume quality of this episode is slightly compromised so thanks for your patience + understanding as you listen to this amazing content
- Made to be Broken documentary
- November Project – a free fitness movement
- How is your run today podcast
- Kickapoo coffee – our favorite coffee place in Milwaukee
- Vanguard – house made sausages
- Intro music from Jukedeck – create your own at http://jukedeck.com
3 KEY TAKEAWAYS:
- One thing (even a seemingly bad thing) can lead to another thing that leads to the next thing and the next thing and the next thing and before you know it, you are doing something big and meaningful without you even realizing that is where you were headed. Trust what’s happening in your life for you and the step you are on.
- When you have an urge to do something, step up and do it. Usually there are other people waiting in the dark for the thing you are contemplating doing. Go for it – “if you build it, they will come.”
- Rise from the darkness; let your gifts shine. It’s ok to be in a dark place, but remember that you have gifts that you can use that are unique to you. And those gifts are going to show you the next step if you pay attention. Be accountable to your gifts. Follow your gifts.
TIME STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [8:20] Vinnie’s Introduction
- [9:40] Learning how to accept the fact that people think I am cool
- [11:57] November Project roadtrip
- [17:00] How do you meet people in the real world?
- [22:00] There are actually lots of special people out there to meet if we are willing to put ourselves out there
- [23:39] Being embraced for exactly who you are
- [24:24] A breakup can lead to your first car that leads to a road trip, then leads to another thing, and another thing, and another thing…
- [31:25] Just step up
- [37:40] Being accountable to the excitement you create
- [39:26] Overcoming the victim-state
- [43:43] Being accountable to our gifts
- [46:30] Curious disruption
- [49:50] Importance of self-care
- [55:12] Connect with Vinnie Cent via IG: @followthecent and subscribe to Vinnie’s newsletter
- [55:40] Thank you for listening + reach out on our website if inspired