Welcome to THE TRUE NORTH COLLECTIVE℠ PODCAST: SEASON 3! With co-hosts Rachel Bellotti (she/her) and Jenell Riesner (she/her), this is a gathering of un-sugar-coated conversations celebrating the untold stories of everyday people fearlessly finding and living their true north.
In our own search to discover and live from our TRUE NORTH, we continue to meet many interesting, courageous people from all walks of life, doing all sorts of amazing things to live life in their own unique way. Stories from all over the world. Stories with heart. Stories with grit. Stories with plot twists. Stories going untold - until now. This season, we celebrate these untold stories of everyday people who are fearlessly living their true north and inspiring each of us to do the same.
Today, we talk to Seth Souza (he/him), Jenell’s backpacking + adventure buddy, who’s into ALL things outdoors, and is building a business, Get Moving Adventures, that incorporates nature and outdoor activities as a way to address mental health. From journaling + collaging, break-ups, being in jail, being in nature, finding your own happiness and then sharing it with others, recognizing social support, owning your part, sharing your story, living for today vs planning for tomorrow, and impermanence. We also bring back conversations on poop - we know you’ve been missing it!
*note: this episode includes explicit language appropriate for those ages 16+
- #amplifymelanatedvoices @melaninbasecamp
- #amplifymarginalizedvoices @pattiegonia
- #amplifymelanatedvoices @wildginna
- #amplifymelanatedvoices @theblackoutdoors
- Solar Shields
- 10% Happier by Dan Harris
- Duncan Trussell Family Hour Podcast
- Mark Atkinson
- Music from: https://www.jukedeck.com/
3 KEY TAKEAWAYS:
- Never underestimate the impact of helping just one person. We often get trapped in this idea that the only way to make a difference is to help as many people as possible. But what if you could help one person so deeply that they in turn were able to fully live and be the person they were meant to be? And what if the one person you could help was yourself? Influence comes in different forms and breadth is not the only way to change the world.
- Sharing your story is personal. And the how and when of sharing your story is up to each of us. And it’s up to each of us to notice when we are curating our story for the audience, at expense to ourselves. And it’s up to each of us to trust that we know best who gets to hear the raw honest truth of our story or the pieces that feel right for us to share. There is no right or wrong way, but we each have to be accountable to our stories and be responsible for owning how + when we share them + with whom.
- Are you living for today or planning for tomorrow? Are you sacrificing your current quality of life for a future state quality of life that may never unfold? Where are you putting your resources? This is a big question with no right answer. What if it’s both? Each of us gets to decide what our balance of living in today and preparing for tomorrow is and we have no idea how much time we get so it’s a gamble either way. At least give yourself the space to ask the question and listen to what your heart and soul answers today so that you can be true to you, whatever that truth may be.
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [1:30] Dumping the dump
- [7:35] Journaling
- [13:50] AD: Sarah Philipp, founder of Abundelicious, and Season 1 guest (S1|E5) is currently offering a course for wellness trainers + coaches who would like to start offering remotely, but maybe aren’t sure where to start. Pre-sales for the course start Aug. 1st. Sign-up here.
- [15:00] Welcome, Seth!
- [16:30] Wanting to live as much as you can
- [26:00] What pulls you through lower days?
- [29:00] Being ready for change
- [33:00] How + when to tell your own story
- [45:00] Impermanence
- [50:00] Living for the day vs planning for the future
- [56:00] Trusted surrender - finding YOUR edge between taking control + letting go
- [58:00] Living for the day when you’re in jail
- [1:04:00] Being a number + a convicted felon
- [1:10:00] Being able to accept help + support from others
- [1:14:15] We are the keepers of this specific slice of life
- [1:19:00] Choosing to engage with your life
- [1:23:30] How do you live your TRUE NORTH?
- [1:23:40] Reach out to Seth via IG @adventureswithseth or via website getmovingadventures.com