Welcome to the TRUE NORTH COLLECTIVE PODCAST: SEASON 2! With co-hosts Rachel Bellotti and Jenell Riesner, this is a gathering of un-sugar-coated conversations celebrating the untold stories of everyday people fearlessly finding and living their true north.
In our own search to discover and live from our TRUE NORTH, we have met so many interesting, courageous people from all walks of life, doing all sorts of amazing things to live life in their own unique way. Stories from all over the world. Stories with heart. Stories with grit. Stories with plot twists. Stories going untold - until now. This season, we continue to connect with and celebrate these untold stories of everyday people who are fearlessly living their true north and inspiring each of us to do the same.
Today, we talk with Jeffrey Beatty, creator and owner of ENTITY LABS. We chat growing a business around CBD - the somewhat new and controversial wellness product, living your passion, overcoming obstacles to, staying sane, and not giving up. And recognizing that the major shifts (sometimes as scary as a motorcycle accident) in life can get you to new territories that would never have otherwise been possible.
*note: this episode includes explicit language appropriate for those ages 16+
3 KEY TAKEAWAYS:
- Believing in what you sell, living what it stands for, and truly knowing the positive impact it makes on people’s lives can keep you motivated to keep going, to keep creating, to keep growing your business, even in the face of huge hurdles, backlash, ignorance, and uncertainty. You can find a way to make it work, no matter what you are faced with. Even when it doesn’t feel worth it, which it sometimes doesn’t feel worth it!
- Creating new products is hard. Period. It’s not for the faint of heart. Especially products with some controversy, misinformation, and confusion around them. Having a good support system and an outlet (like going to the gym) is paramount to staying sane.
- Embracing, being open, and allowing things that you weren’t expecting and cannot control can push you into new directions that wouldn’t have been possible otherwise. It’s not always easy, but eventually if you let it take you where it takes you, you can end up in some really cool and interesting and fruitful places.
TIME STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [1:00] The joys of NOT wearing pants
- [2:15] Ragnar + catching up on sleep + mold
- [15:00] Shredding the nar on trash mountain
- [15:46] Introducing Jeff Beatty, creator and owner of Entity Labs!
- [19:00] A brand centered around CBD - making mistakes + trying again
- [21:30] Creating products based on what I want in the world
- [24:00] What keeps you up at night as a biz owner
- [26:00] Support, partners, advice-givers, mentors + eventually asking for help as a stubborn, self-sufficient person
- [37:00] How CBD works?
- [45:00] Staying motivated in the face of big hurdles and controversy around selling CBD products that slows business
- [51:00] Lots of learning and trial and error
- [52:30] What advice would you give yourself before starting your biz?
- [55:00] Forgetting how far we’ve come + staying sane…
- [1:00:00] How to tell if the CBD you buy is quality? And if it’s “working”?
- [1:07:00] Empowering your body to better function and do more of what they can naturally do on its own!
- [1:09:30] Doing flips even after 2-3 back surgeries
- [1:15:30] Advice for anyone looking to create a product…
- [1:17:00] Being the technician/expert vs running the business
- [1:23:15] Major uncomfortable life shifts that bring on good change
- [1:27:00] Getting depressed about big life obstacles and feeling bad about being in that space is really normal and actually ok
- [1:06:00] Get in touch with Jeff - IG @jeffbeedee or via website entitymusclebalm.com (will eventually change entitylabs.com)