Welcome to THE TRUE NORTH COLLECTIVE℠ PODCAST: SEASON 3! With co-hosts Rachel Bellotti (she/her) and Jenell Riesner (she/her), this is a gathering of un-sugar-coated conversations celebrating the untold stories of everyday people fearlessly finding and living their true north.
In our own search to discover and live from our TRUE NORTH, we continue to meet many interesting, courageous people from all walks of life, doing all sorts of amazing things to live life in their own unique way. Stories from all over the world. Stories with heart. Stories with grit. Stories with plot twists. Stories going untold - until now. This season, we celebrate these untold stories of everyday people who are fearlessly living their true north and inspiring each of us to do the same.
Today, we are bringing back Joaquin Torres-Maryea from earlier this year (S3|E8) for another round of TRUE NORTH exploration. This time we’re digging into self-sabotage and how we abandon and neglect ourselves. We consider how even seemingly “positive” stuff, like productivity and being super happy, can actually be a form of self-sabotage; how the idealized self can get in the way of truly living; when neglecting self might be an “okay/good” thing; and how important it is to never forget that as self-aware as we become, we are always still humxn with all of our humxnness.
*note: this episode includes explicit language appropriate for those ages 16+
- #amplifymelanatedvoices video on Liberatory Relationships w/ @andrearanaej + @desiereeadaway
- #amplifymelanatedvoices “Unlocking Us” podcast w/ @larvernecox
- #amplifymelanatedvoices “The Biracial Boy” video by @thedevinway
- The Angry Therapist
- Shambhala Meditation in Milwaukee, WI
- THRIVE – a human development company
- Music from: https://www.jukedeck.com/
3 KEY TAKEAWAYS:
- How can you recognize when actions are rooted in fear at the expense of yourself? Whether it’s a feeling or a thought or a sensation or a knowing, it can be helpful to recognize the differences within your when you are doing things FOR yourself vs doing things to HIDE yourself so that you can recognize the signals in your system that are warning you of where you are heading.
- As “enlightened” as you think you get, you are still a humxn with all the humxness that being a humxn comes with. The goal with this growth stuff isn’t to stop becoming humxn, it’s to become more accepting and understanding of what it means to continue to BE humxn for the rest of the time you get on this earth.
- Pay attention to what you are digesting. What you are feeding your mind, body, and soul? What content + media you are digesting? What activities you are choosing to do? What emotions you are attaching to to feel better? Notice when what you consume drowns out your essence.
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [1:00] On July 9th, we are hosting THE COLLECTIVE – a monthly virtual community gathering where we unpack different aspects of authenticity in real-time alongside other humxns who are also exploring their TRUE NORTH. July is all about self-sabotage; we hope to see you there! Join our email list for details.
- [4:30] Self-care + connection amidst change
- [6:20] Welcome back, Joaquin!
- [8:00] Intuition
- [12:00] Hiding from yourself + others
- [16:30] You are NOT alone
- [20:00] Self-doubt + operating out of fear
- [26:30] Ego + expectations + idealized versions of ourselves
- [34:00] Laughing off your reality
- [38:30] Allowing yourself to be seen + allowing yourself to truly see others
- [42:00] Drowning out your essence
- [48:00] Consciously numbing out
- [54:00] Brene Brown – owning your shame
- [1:01:00] Your authenticity is always still there
- [1:10:00] Using our authentic energy for something or someone
- [1:14:00] How do you neglect your TRUE NORTH in one word?